my wiper problem - again (follow up, but not yet solved)

Ok, now that it's the weekend (read: I have a little time on my hands), I
poked around under the hood a little bit.  What I found was a particular
connector (one of a cluster of wires that is coming out of the firewall)
that is not plugged into anything.  Of the two wires in question, one is
brown (this is the ground, right?) and the other is green with a white
stripe on it.  Now, I remember finding this before, but for some reason I
never did anything about it.  Speculating that this is why my washer has
never worked, I attempted to plug it in but couldn't find any place where
it might go (the fact that I seem to have lost my flashlight isn't
helping).  It seemed as though a fair amount of the wires in this
particular group coming from the firewall go into a silver canister
behind the intake manifold (I thought this was the wiper motor until I
noticed that it didn't seem to have any mechanism on it that might cause
the wiper arm to move; furthermore, there is a wire coming out of the
center of this thing that goes directly into the distributor).  So, what
is this thing, and where does this plug go?

Most of the advice I received from this list pointed to the switch.
Unfortunately, pulling the steering wheel is a little beyond me.  Are
there any benevolent NorCal listers that might be willing to assist me in
some of this? :)  (again, I'm in Modesto, but I might be able to do the
traveling, though my schedule is tight)

-Timothy A Reed, Esq.
t.a.reed.esq@juno.com
Moses approached the thick darkness where God was
Exodus 20:21