Rear view mirrors

Brent:

IIRC the Scirocco glass is the same as a Passat of the same approx
vintage?  The real cheap-ass way to do it if you don't have access to
glass grinding equipment and such is to use mirrored plexiglass.  I came
across some in the odds-and-ends bin at plastic supply house, it was
~1/8" thick and can be cut easily.  The replacement OEM was ~$45 last time
I bought.  FWIW, silicone around the perimeter of glass did not spare it
from the desilvering (but its probably an aluminum coating) in my wet and
cold climate.  And, the king of the cheap-ass it to go to local parts
place and buy LCD strip thermometer.  Mount on bottom.  Might even remind
you to turn off defroster (switch is not evident to 6'2" driver even
mounted in the top switch position.)

HTH,
-- Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...
Firesign Theatre