Re: eBay question (LuK clutch fitment)

Nate Mellom wrote:

<snip>
> I think my clutch is going, how hard is a clutch replacement?  I've
> never done one.
>
> Thanks,
> Nate

Off the top of my head reply to:

How hard is it to replace your clutch?

- While you are in there you might think to;
1. Replace seals
2. Replace more than just the clutch disk,
2b. lightened flywheel?
2c. upgrade from 190/200 to 210 mm size components?
3. Replace the trans fluid, new OEM if not RedLine synth.
4. Use top quality, (SATs ?) you don't want to return later or tear up
something else.
5. Replace the motor Mounts. (Think Diesel and/or TT)

I have done 1 & 1/2 of these so far. :)

A real good source for info on DIY was Muir Press' "How to Keep your
Rabbit.... Alive" book, good backyard tech stuff in there. [Too bad it's
out of print] Of course a Bentley, augmented with a Haynes is just good
biz practice.

It can be done by yourself but it's easier to have a helper at least
when getting the trans in and out.

It can be pulled out the bottom but you need to support the engine
weight, I have used 2 twoxfours bundled & cut to fit the same size the
hood takes up, not resting on the top part of the fenders but in the
crease, lest they dent.

The other main thing is getting the clutch disk bolts out, they are
usually in tight after getting all hot in the past, sometimes an impact
wrench is a good thing to have. Without one you need something to keep
the engine from rotating, this can be that useful helper with another
wrench holding one of the bolts in place while you crank the rest.

Look back on the recent thread were Shawn mentions reseating the motor
mounts after some light driving to align things right. (or something
like that). When the trans comes out, you will have at least disrupted
the front mount's position.

hth,
TBerk