Re: Air Dam Install - The right way... is what?

tberk@mindspring.com writes:

- The old one had thin double sided foam tape as well as screws, sounds
like a good idea.

I had double stick tape on the factory air dam.  For the Kamei, I would use a
thin single sided foam tape.  Stick it to the air dam.  This will cushion it
against the body.  I've noticed with mine, the movement of the air dam has
worn away some of the paint.  Staying with a single sided tape will allow
easy removal and still cushion the paintwork.

- I forget who but someone mentioned screws up front but break-away
plastic dowels on the sides, in case of harsh curb action, like those
cement parking lot things.

Yes, do it.  I have a bunch of cracks on the side mounting holes because I
didn't do this.  For the main front screws, the kit came with sheetmetal
screws.  Over time the sheetmetal will fatigue and you end up with
elongated/ovesize holes in your bodywork.  I switched to threaded inserts
many years ago.  These are threaded barrels that you expand into a sheetmetal
hole and whats left is a machine thread that you can put a "real" screw into.
 I use 10-32 pan head screws.  I dress it up with a trim cap that has a cup
shaped washer that secures a white plastic button cap(to match my white
paint).  The inserts(with install tool) and the button cap kit is available
at an Orchard Supply Hardware near you.

- It's black right now and I'm inclined to leave it as is, except a good
cleaning and a deep Forever Black application. (Don't care for body
colored bumpers, etc. myself). BUT- What about spraying it in some
flexible black paint for stone worthiness?

The material is pretty tough against the casual stone or two.  Everyone has
their own preference here on color.

- The cut out isn't. In the future I'm installing an oil cooler and
might route an air deflector pointing it's way, for now I'll prob. leave
it as is. Do I need concern with overheating with the thing installed,
(and not cut out) vs no troubles currently (and no air dam at all).

I've heard some people claim the oil temp shot up when using the Kamei w/o
the cutout removed.  The cutout is aligned with the oil pan and when removed,
allows air to hit the pan.  Just monitor the oil temp guage.  Right now with
the weather as it is, you should have no problems.  If you get your oil
cooler by summer, you should be fine.

GL.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco