[Tech] 16v Running Problems! (semi long)

Guys and Gals,...here is a new one on me.  A buddy of mine stopped in today
for so help with his speedo.  I got the speedo working and we took off for
the local movie rental in his 87 16v Rocco.  Car ran pretty well for about 2
minutes of the trip.  (lah, lah , lah,...on with the story)  Anyhow,....he
had just add a bottle of "Chevron Techron" cleaner to his 3/4 full gas tank.
Drove about 25 miles to my house.....no problems.   We are cruising down the
highway,...he goes for 5th gear and as soon as the clutch is pressed
in....Dead!   Car dies and we just coast.   Sitting in a parking
lot,...nothing seems to be overheating,...(though the intake manifold did
seem a bit warm?)  the car will idle and 800rpm,...dive to 100 rpm....sit
there for a moment,...go to 1200,...then to 2500,...back down to 1000, etc.
So we jump back in it and do a total of maybe 8 miles of driving.   He's to
the point he is holding the gas pedal on the floor,....rpms are showing 200
(maybe),...and then suddenly it will surge to take off like nothing is
wrong.....then back down to dying stage.  We finally gave up a few blocks
short of the house and walked home to get my car.  But here is the
kicker......He cranks it up,....keeps stomping the gas to keep it
running,..it backfires a little into the airbox,....so he shuts it down
again.  I notice out the tail pipe there is smoke coming from it....(this
car doesn't burn oil,.......at least it never has before......the motor is
completely rebuilt)  So the car is not running but there is smoke still
coming from the exhaust.
    It's pouring rain here now,...so we figure tomorrow will be wet and
miserable,....but I could use some insight.  At first we thought the fuel
injector cleaner just wasn't burning right in the motor.....but he is
convinced that it is mechanical damage.  (motor)     I'm kinda leaning
toward a plugged cat. converter or muffler.   I've never seen such a weird
deal.
All and any help is really appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris