Re: (tech)2.0 L 16V Build.

At 9:43 PM -0800 3/1/01, MIKE BLAIN wrote:
> Here is the goal-    2.0L 16 V - with 1.8L head, Scirocco 16V Exhaust
>Manifold, Polished Intake Manifold.    I want 180 hp (total) I want more
>bottom end then top speed.  The car will be a daily driver for the most

I know Brett's already mentioned this, but I dont' think you're going to be
able to have your cake AND eat it too.  You can either have A) 180hp or B)
a torquey daily driver.  Unless you get into nitrous or a forced-induction
situation, you won't be able to maintain great torque characteristics at
reasonable rpms.  To get to 180hp, you'll need to get into cams that
sacrifice torque below 4000rpm.  Unfortunately, there's no way around that,
especially if you plan on sticking with CIS-E.

>I NEED
>1)Valves-   high performance?  what brands?  will the lengths change or
>stem thicknesses?

Really the only option you have when it comes to valves is using stainless
steel.  From what I recall, the advantage in using stainless valves is
their ability to stay clean - carbon doesn't build up on them like it does
on the OE steel ones.  You might also be able to thin the stems down a bit
when you port the head, but that's a really minor issue.

>2) springs-

The general consensus is to get either TT or Schrick valve springs if you
plan on using cams more extreme than a 260.  You should look at the lift
numbers, but that's a rule of thumb that most people use.

>3) cams. I want schricks-  should I run 276 or 286 or?   remember this
>is a daily driver.

The biggest cams you can use while keeping your lifters hydraulic are the
Schrick 276es.  If you care about beating people in stoplight drags, don't
buy these cams :)  Get the 268s, or better yet, get an asymmetric set (260
intake w/276 exhaust).  I can pretty much guarantee you'll like the torque
characteristics of this set better than a set of 268s.  You don't have to
use Schricks, either - I've got Pipers, and there's no reason why you
couldn't put together a similar set from what Kent offers.

>4) crankshaft-  I heard something about getting the "diesel" crank.  and
>then something about a TDI? should I just maintain with the stock crank?

A TDI crankshaft might get you to 180hp + the torque you want.  I've never
seen one dynoed though... Be aware that you'll sacrifice your high-rev
capability, though, and plan accordingly - get a set of torquey, midrange
cams (like the Schrick 260s, or Autotech's, or the upcoming TT cams).

>5)Lifters

Just get new ones... peace of mind is good :)

As far as the rest of the head goes, while you're getting it ported and
polished, make sure it gets a rebuild too.  New lifters, new cam chain, new
springs (if necessary), new seals, etc.  The last thing you want to do is
spend all this money and then have to go back into the head a month later
to fix a failed lifter.

The only other thing I can think of is a VW Motorsport head gasket.  It'll
raise your compression ratio, which will give you a bit more torque, but
will probably require at least 92 octane...

HTH!