Re: Helpful VW dealerships?

Julie, do you mean the gear that drives the cable off the final drive in
the transmission?  This gear is still available from VW.  It comes as a
red gear (171 957 821 B) for 3.94 (2H, 4K, 7A and all A2 diesel/turbo
diesel except ECO) final drives and a plain gear (171 957 821 A) for 3.89
and 3.67 final drives. (all early A1, A2 gas boxes)

The appropriate gear for the FF would be 171 957 821 A, which *should*
turn any 1540 (rpms per mile) speedo accurately, regardless of top speed.
(If you look at  your speedometer, underneath where it says VDO or
Motometer, there should be a number -1540 for mph speedos and 950 for km/h
speedos - this is the number of revolutions per unit indicated)  I believe
that all A1 and A2 speedos are 1540/950 units - somebody please correct me
if I'm wrong.

BTW, for  those of you with 4.25 final drives, 171 957 821 C would be the
gear for you (and can one of you come over to my place and pull a stump
out of my front yard? :) )

Drew (84 Wolfsburg)

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Julie Macfarlane wrote:

> I found almost the same. I want the gears on the end of the speedo cable so
> I can get an accurate reading. The guy behind the counter at Nemer VW in
> Latham. Just said "not available" didn't even look in the ETKA. He did seem
> either pissed or shocked that I even knew it existed...
> Still hoping to get a gear for an FF to 100mph and a 120mph speedo...
>

> >From: "Marie Laugesen" <scirocco@telus.net>
> >To: "Jonas Karlsson" <jonas85k@hotmail.com>
> >CC: "Scirocco-L" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> >Subject: Re: Helpful VW dealerships?
> >Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:12:13 -0800
> >
> >  That's odd.... all an acura owner has to do is bring their car in and we
> >give them the code... we wont do it over the phone though. And we don't
> >charge for that service. Bastards.
> >
> >Marie
> >
> > >The dealership by be is refusing to give me the unlock code for a factory
> > >radio I was given by a co-worker. Unless I pay their $25 fee plus
> >whatever
> > >they charge to have it installed.
> > >
> > >I'm tired of that BS and wanted to know if anyone has a dealership near
> >them
> > >that has been helpful in this department.
> > >
> > >I'm in california, so the closer to me the better. It would save on the
> >long
> > >distance charges.
> > >
> > >BTW, the dealership I've been talking to is Bob Lewis VW in Fremont CA.
> > >
> > >TIA,
> > >
> > >Jonas
> > >85 Scirocco 2.0
> > >78 Scirocco 1.8
> > >87 Scirocco 16V
> > >For direct reply: jonas@metabolex.com
> > >http://www.geocities.com/scirocco2l8v

> >majordomo@scirocco.org
> > >

> >--
> >Email LIST problems to: scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org.
> >

> Julie Macfarlane
> '81 8v-FF (Mom)
> '81 16v-2A (Fronkenstein)
> '83 Rabbit GTi (Baby)

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca