RE: chassis stiffening: foam in the rockers...

In college I built and raced solar-powered cars, and we had to get a large
quantity of structural foam to build a form from which to make a mold so we
could lay up the body.  We were down the road from a manufacturer of semi
trailers.  Their line included refrigerated trailers, and they used a nice
two-part foam that they were kind enough to donate to our cause.  If someone
near you makes refrigeration boxes of any kind, you could check with them.
I don't know what different types are available to give various strengths.

I've also seen it used more often recently for packaging.  I think Grainger
might be doing this with some of the orders they send out - they put the
stuff in a box and put a plastic bag in the top.  Then they fill the bag
with foam and let it expand to fill the space around the stuff.  I would
guess that sort of foam is weaker than what you would want, because it's
pretty lightweight stuff.  If you know someone that works in a shipping
department somewhere, ask them.

If you have access to a McMaster-Carr catalog (they probably havea website
as well), they might sell something like this; they have an awful lot of
stuff.  Grainger <http://www.grainger.com> may have it as well.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco