Re: looking at an 81 's'

CHRISTOPHER FRYER wrote:

> howdy all, ive been searching for a rocco for myself for a while, and now ive
> come across an 81 's' that im going to look at in the next few days. are there
> any major probelms associated with the mk1's that i should look out for? i
> dont have a bently as of yet (is there a different one for mk1's and mk2's?)
> but i know 80's vw's fairly well (82 rabbit gas, 80 rabbit diesel, 87 vanagon
> sycnro, 88 jetta gas) i had my heart set on a mk2 but upstate ny is not kind
> to 15-20 year old cars. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
> chris fryer
>
> --

OK,

Chris. As founding father of the West Coast Region, SFBAY Chapter, of
the Scirocco Preservation Society I want to screen you 1st. (Randy Block
is my Master of Arms. Don't make me use him.)

- Do you pledge to avoid all salt on open roads?
- Preserve and Enhance the Mk1 Scirocco, even if it means your GF
wouldn't understand?
- Plan to find another suitable owner if it becomes untenable to keep it
yourself?

If the answers are acceptable then we can proceed.

To respond to your questions:

- Rust and the Tin Worm are your Enemy. Check under the rear Axle Beam
and the Front Fender/Rocker Panels. Check under the carpet (brake fluid
don't play fair).
- Engine (unless you are a Stock Purist) It Don't Matter, you will be
doing the FrankenBerk thing here in no time so negotiate the price
accordingly but intend to swap, rebuild, replace, in the future.
- Windshield Corners/Gasket leaks. Esp into the fuse box. Drag if it
happens but you can recover. Again Rust here is an unfortunate thing.
- All the Old Car things apply, check for collision damage, bring a
magnet to check for massive Bondo, run the VIN if you can, etc., etc.
- Take it for a ride. Does it run good when cold? When warm? Does it
restart well?
- And of course the question comes to mind: Is it really an S?

8])

- Yes the Bentley's are Diff. 74 to 81 is Mk1. After that the Mk2s take
over.
- We fall into the same book the A1 GTI's are in.
- "87 vanagon sycnro"   Hmmmm.
- As for having your heart set on a Mk2 I only have this response:
Chris, Put the Pipe Down.

TBerk
Keep the Faith.