Re: mk1 Steering column bushings

--- Gary Huff <scirocco86@home.com> wrote:
> Yesterday was pretty fucking weak. I took apart the
> 75's steering column with the intention of
> regreasing all of the bearings in order to just be
> anal and have a nice quiet smooth steering car.
> First problem, the lower bushing/bearing is
> different.. not a big deal, I had a spare bearing
> that goes in the bottom of the tube, so I pulled out
> the bearing inside, kept the plastic, and pushed the
> 75's bearing and housing into the tube. Next comes
> the bearing up in the metal piece/ignition tube.
> There is a plastic bushing that goes around the
> steering column shaft, and inside of the bearing
> race so that everything fits together right. This
> bushing is destroyed. It's plastic. Does anyone have
> another? I'm doubting this is available through VW
> anymore..... Steering play sucks, lack of it is
> paramount. Peace,
> 	-Gary Huff

Gary,

Try VW, since this was a common part with the Rabbit
(Golf 1), you may be in luck. Worst comes to worst you
can pull the column from that '76 that you & I know
about!

=====
Mark Peele
1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
For Sale: Various VW 13" Steel Wheels - free - you haul.
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)