From: "T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 6:35 PM
Subject: normal timing for a 16v

> Here's a question that has been bugging me for a
while and I've always
> forgotten by the time I get inside to the
computer.. I just thought of it
> now so I'm gonna post it so I don't forget..
>
> Whenever I set or check my timing, the
distributor always has to be turned
> _all the way_ to one direction (can't remember
if it's CW or CCW) to get
> the stock timing according to the flywheel hole.
That's always bugged me
> and caused me to suspect that maybe my
distributor is 180 degrees off or
> something is afoul.. basically what I want to
know is .. is this normal?

> I just want someone who has a 16v that's running
right to confirm that
> their distributor is cranked all the way or damn
close to all the way to
> one direction. It always felt to me like it
should be closer to the middle
> to allow for a range of adjustment..
>
> I checked on my friend's 16v gti and its pretty
much the same as mine but
> I'm still not convinced since his car doesn't
run right either..

scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org.
the message to majordomo@scirocco.org