Tech: New Questions, Fix Elevating RPMS

Thanks for all the suggestions on the mysterious rise and fall of my rpms.
Since recharging the ac system the, the problem has disappeared.
Now the engine runs very hot, the engine temp gauge starts to blink now
after about an hour of running the ac.
When not using the  ac, it stays about the middle of the gauge.

Does the fact that I used the retrofit kit of R13a instead of the 12
contribute to this?
How should I approach resolving this problem?
My plans are as follows

Completely drain and recharge the coolant system with a radiator flush
Install a new thermostat

I also will probably put that lower temp fan switch.

Also anyone knows how to properly adjust a moonroof. The BEntley is less
than helpful when it came to this. Will have to remove and reinstall, as I
noted a "few" extra parts after closing everthing up.

Andre Persaud, MD
andrecnp@hotmail.com
1986.5 VW Scirocco 16v