Re: non rocco - new passat impressions?

Brad Sayer wrote:

> Having almost successfully converted my parents to the joys of VW ownership
> they are looking to buy a new passat.  I am sure some of you own such a car
> and was wondering about impressions:  best engine, transmission, etc.  Also,
> any problems or warnings.  I have heard something about unusually high oil
> consumption...is this true?

Thought about replying offline but figure that others on the list could use
some input on the Passat too..

My '00 is just a hair over a year old, 17k on the clock.  I LOVE it.  I went
GLS (1.8T) but added several options - luxury (sunroof/alloy wheels) and
leather package (which includes heated seats) plus Monsoon stereo.  Includes
MFA (actually on the base car it's standard), power everything except the
seats (GLX gets power/memory seats), has plain-jane black trim on the dash
whereas GLX gets woodgrain trim.  5-speed manual too.  Stickered in the
high $23k range, got it for low $22k range, then leased it at killer factory-
sponsored lease rate last year.  A LOT of car for the money..

I'm quite satisfied with my choices.  I get 34 mpg on the freeway at steady
85+ speeds, about 27-28 overall average with lots of city driving.  The
original B5 platform cars (through 1st half of '01) were only rated 150 hp,
but it sure feels like there's more ooomph there.. no regrets whatsoever
about not going for the V6, especially with the fuel economy.  Car is still
solid as the day I bought it, the only problem I've had is bad seat heater
switches - zero mechanical problems, zero delivery defects (ok slightly
distorted windshield, VERY common on all VW/Audi products).

As for oil consumption, mine uses zero, nada, nothing, never did even at
break-in.  I've heard stories too of high consumption in all the VW
products.  My '97 GTI VR6 went through a quart every 1500 miles from the
day I drove it off the lot till when I sold it 57k miles later.  My '99
VR6 never used a drop.  Go figure.  Seems to be a random issue in some
cars but not others, across the entire engine line.  VW won't lift a finger
about it unless consumption exceeds 1 quart per 1k miles.

The current ("B5.5") cars that just came out a couple of months ago are
now rated at 170 hp and have lots of minor cosmetic changes.

Great cars!

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA