Re: Timing Sprocket Removal

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 20:02:08 -0500 "Christian Els" <tiAn@usiw.net>
writes:
> After battling with mine unsuccessfully all afternoon, how have you
> gotten yours off the crankshaft?
I use a 1/2" drive IR 231 air impact wrench.

> Details: Car is an '87 16V (PL, 1.8L). I have been basting it in
> Rost-Off all day and banging away with my faithful but cheap impact
wrench.
> Nada.
Banging on the end of the crank, can't be good for the crank or the
bearings...

> Bentley doesn't mention any oddities like left-hand threads.
It's right hand thread...

> What gives? Who's got a secret?
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Christian Els
> 87 16V

Art Clemens props a 1/2" drive breaker bar against the ground, gives the
ignition a quick turn energizing the starter,
turning the crank clockwise, while the breaker bar keeps the bolt from
turning.

That's probably how I would do it without air...

HTH,
Peter - http://thescirocco.com -  Bear, Delaware

                                             '79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers For Sale, or For Parts: '79 White Champagne Edition, '80 Red,
'84 Black, '88 Red