Timing Sprocket Removal

After battling with mine unsuccessfully all afternoon, how have you gotten
yours off the crankshaft?

Details: Car is an '87 16V (PL, 1.8L). I have been basting it in Rost-Off
all day and banging away with my faithful but cheap impact wrench. Nada.

Bentley doesn't mention any oddities like left-hand threads.

What gives? Who's got a secret?

Thanks all.

Christian Els
87 16V

BTW, caught up late with the Columbia, MO GTG folks. Had to take my cabby :(
I did see Wojciech's 8V Rocco, the sole representative of Scirocco.org. He
has a tasty MK1 air damn attached to his 82(?), looks very nice.