Re: [TECH SWAP] A2-->A1 interchangeability

Brian McGarvey wrote:

> hey ya'll if all goes well there will be a complete change in cars in my
> sig soon.
>
> Im looking at getting a 2.0L that comes with an A2 jetta chassis.
> Gonna drop the motor in either the wife's new cabby or my new 88 16v
> chassis. My current one is cursed. somebody is aiming for the drivers
> door. I'll pass. I need another set of luck.
>
> So the question is how much of the A2 stuff from the jetta will go onto
> the A1 chassis.
> motor  (outta a passat) How do I get the intake on the "correct" side
> tranny. is it a straight drop in?

Almost all of it. I have learned though that the hubs from an A2 won't
fit the A1 suspension. Trans is no problem, except any 90 mm / 100 mm
(hub, axle, flange) issues.

Check out what our friend Peter said recently;

> thescirocco@juno.com wrote:
>
> > Any '85 and up, Scirocco or Cabriolet uses 100mm axles and hub
> carriers.
> >
> > The short 100mm A1 driver's side axle, is the same as the A2
> driver's
> > side axle...
> >
> > Peter - http://thescirocco.com -  Bear, Delaware

So, you should be OK.

> recaros are going in the cabby. Cause im too large to have em in the
> rocco.

You _could_ graft the lower Roc seat bottoms onto the Reccaros but maybe
you don't want to. :)

> oh if I keep the 8v in the cabby ( i want max reliability) how do i make
> this thing pull much harder. looking for a good steady powerband. The
> silly thing is a winp. wont even spin the tires in first gear on a sandy
> road. :-)... it needs to have atleast as much power as 98 Honda Civic...
> (not too tough)

Bet the Cab has the single header/downppe. Replace it with a dual
manifold/downpipe setup; either early Scirocco/diesel or new TT.

> brian
> 87 16v .. cursed./ blessing (parting / gettig a new home - perf parts?)
> 85 cabby getting deliverd. gonna be living a new life.
> 81S getting traded
> ------

hth,
TBerk