Re: Faulty starter relay?

Julie Macfarlane wrote:

> When I try to start the car some times, I have to hold the key over for
> quite a while... Then it will turn over... Some times not....
> Then I have to jumper the battery connection and the wire to the relay. It
> will start every time that way.. A real pain though.
> The ignition switch has been replaced already ($32.00) from the
> stealership...
> Any ideas on what the problem is?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Julie

Sounds like voltage drop between the switch, relay and the solenoid
which clicks in to engage the starter.

(The power you send the starter via the relay doesn't actually run the
starter itself, it runs the solenoid, which when it's piston moves
forward closes the main power to the starter motor).

So, I think you can recondition those connections and get some life back
in the system. Corrosion and crusty wires are the culprits, Grease;
elbow & dielectric, are your allies. (It all runs through the fuse box,
doesn't it.)

In addition to the smaller wires in the cabin and under the dash are
those big ol' honking starter wires in the engine bay, around the
battery. I like welding ground cable myself.

I have found it plentiful and cheap when sourced from
industrial/military surplus warehouses. Buy it by the pound vs foot.
Most come with a battery post clamp already on one end, the trick is to
find the right length you need, (in my car I have a 12v+ to starter
cable that's looped around a few times because it's too long, but it's
00 gauge so I don't care to much. ; ] ) In reality I have it so long
because I intend to use it for the Battery to Alt post run when I get
around to swapping in the 90A unit.

Bet if you clean and lube them big cable ends (or replace it altogether
with a new one) life will get better for you.

TBerk
like my buddy says: "Up the Voltage!"