RE: bad wiper realy?

<snip Corey>
howdy y'all! i've got a question about my 88 16v.  whenever i've started it
up the past few weeks now, my wipers & blower won't work immediatly.  i
first noticed it when i installed a working rear defroster switch.  and also
whenever i try to turn the defroster right after starting, or turning the
key on, the light won't come on for a bit.  oh, and one more thing....
sometimes when i try the wipers and they don't come on, i hear what i think
is a relay under the dash whining.
<end snip>

I'll bet you have an issue with the headlights at the same time, right?  I
just went through this maybe 4 months ago on mine.  It sounds like your load
reduction relay (position 8, IIRC).  Create a jumper wire and check if the
problem stops.  If so, replace the relay.  It's something like $12 at the
dealership.  If you replace the relay, and the problem persists, it's most
likely your ignition switch.  Five bucks at the junkyard.  Since the problem
is intermittent, carry the jumper wire in your glove box in case you get
stuck at night or in the rain and the relay is not the problem.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II