Re: Max RPM

At 9:51 PM -0400 6/17/01, Vee Dubb wrote:
>Listers;
>
>What I'm really trying to figure out is not how to make it a monster, but
>how to make it survive being a monster.  So things like stiffer valve
>springs and stronger head bolts are what I'm after.  - you know, the
>reinforcements that have little to nothing to do with actual horsepower.  I

Um, I don't think anyone's said it yet, but if you want to take your
16v up past 8000rpm I think you're going to find that the stock
hydraulic lifters aren't doing you any favors.  Convert the head to
solid lifters, invest some serious $$ on a set of Schrick 302 cams
(they work with solid lifters only, dontcha know!) and corresponding
springs, plus you'll probably want titanium valve retainers (they
weigh less, therefore they'll be easier to control at 8krpm).  If
there's any way to lighten the rest of the valvetrain, do it.  Are
stainless steel valves lighter than the stock ones?  I dunno....

That's just on the top end.  On the bottom end, like Shawn said I
think a full balance and blueprint will make life easier, plus
ARP/Raceware bolts on the connecting rods.

If you do bite the bullet, good luck...