Over heating Coil experience...

I am down here in austin and it is freaking hot.  After installing my TT
race down pipe in like march I had no problems, but now that it gets to like
100 here in the afternoon my car would die at random.  When i switched out
the downpipes i just tossed the heat shield and after wasting much money by
misdiagnosing the miss in my car when hot and then the stalling, i realized
my coil was really freaking hot.  So tomorrow I will wrap the downpipe
(supposed to make more power anyway) and possibly build a heat shield for my
coil.

My question:

Does this sound logical,  would an overheating coil make the car die, can
the coil even overheat?

Robert