Re: Tales of woe... chevys 2 rocco 0.

They actually do give you fair market value.  Sometimes that may be good
compared to book value - sometimes not.  It all depends how much they
sell for in your area.  When my 88 was wrecked March of 2000, I asked
about how they appraise the value of the car.  The insurance agent
mentioned they actually hire an outside agency to determine fair market
value.  They do this by reviewing newspaper ads, AutoTrader ads, etc.
Make sure you inform the insurance company that you want your
aftermarket mods to be considered in the appraisal.  Hopefully you have
receipts.  Do all appraisal negotiations BEFORE letting them know that
you want to buy the car back (if that's the case).  This will prevent
them from saying 'well, you are buying the car back, so why do you
except to be reimbursed for aftermarket parts?'.  As for determining
salvage value, the insurance company I dealt with just picked up the
phone as I was sitting there and called a local junkyard to see what
they would pay for it.  They just deducted that amount ($350) from the
appraisal and I got my car back and a $2700 check.

If you have full coverage through your insurance company, it would be a
good idea to get them involved too.  My insurance company (USAA) told me
they would run the value of the car as well and would pay to me their
appraisal amount if higher than the at-fault insurance company's quote
(Allstate).  USAA would then deal with Allstate to get reimbursed.  It
turned out Allstate hooked me up pretty good, so I didn't have to deal
with that, but it was nice to have a good backup plan.

Mike
82 Wabbit 2.0T
88 325is