Re: alternative jack points

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 07:58:55 -0000 "Christopher Mueller"
<cm_scirocco@hotmail.com> writes:
> Simply because nothing I do is ever easy, want to know if the towing
> pull rings in the front are a suitable spot for jacking up the car with

> standard floor jacks.  Wasn't sure how connected into the frame those
things
> were.
>
> In a perfect world my apartment's driveway would be flat, but its
> not, in fact its a little bit of a pain in the ass.
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher
> 87 16v

No!

The pull rings are attached to the bumper mounts, and they are bolted to
bumper tubes,
that are on each side of the engine, forward to the rad
support/crossmember, and this is NOT a good place to jack it up.

Alternative jacking points:

The round dimple right behind the front wheel.

On the ridge of the A arm support, right behind the 19mm A arm bolt.

On the rear trailing arm...
I jack it up by the rear trailing arm, and I set the jack stands on the
rear official jacking points.

Peter - http://thescirocco.com -  Bear, Delaware

                                             '79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers For Sale, or For Parts: '79 White Champagene Edition, '80 Red,
'80 Silver, '84 Black, '88 Red