MKI heater box Q's

First off, thanks to everyone who answered my question
about the green wire.  It turns out it was a wire for
the ac compressor clutch which is no longer part of my
car.

Now since I bought the car the vents will only blow on
the windshield becuase the vacuum lines for the HVAC
are disconected/missing/broken.  Its a real mess back
there.  I was thinking it would be easier (& lighter)
to swap in a non a/c heating set up.  The question is
does it have to come from a MKI or can I use
rabbit/cabby/jetta stuff or MKII scirocco stuff??
Does anyone in the New England are have a parts car?
Thanks in advance.  Oh and does anyone else from the
list find they spend every spare minute working on the
car?  Is there help for this?

Tony