UPDATE: Audi window switches [detailed/long]

Alright, after taking apart a VW and an Audi switch, I have come much closer
to a resolution, although on my car ... well, see bottom.

Wire colors and what they're supposed to do (note supposed to.. see comment
at bottom), courtesy of TBerk who looked it up for a VW:
** Numbers are location on switch where wire attaches
4 Brown wire- Common ground
3 & 5 Red black wire- power (two wires attach to switch but are linked
before - so one main red black power wire)
1 White wire- window up
2 White black wire- window down

Connect red/black and one of the white wires, window goes /\ or \/, other
side of switch grounds the other white wire.

Colors are different on the Audi (even door and center panel colors differ)
Essentially though the wires hook up at the same points, 4 Ground, 3&5
Power, 1 window up, 2 window down. The difference in the AUDI switch is that
the power wires and switch direction wires are each connected internally. In
addition one power wire is connected to the LED (lightsource) which connects
to the ground (there is a transistor before the LED .. I don't know what
this does. When you click the switch it grounds one of the window direction
wires (the other when clicking the other direction).

I don't follow the logic behind this, I suppose an Audi wiring diagram would
help ... one direction is always grounded (which would activated it) due to
the LED. Obviously hooking the wires up by the numbers VW-Audi should not
work since both directions are always powered.

My solution (also in part due to the horrifying wiring mess the PO made out
of the window switches and alarm etc) so far is that:
You use only one power wire, hook it to the #4 on the Audi switch. Up wire
goes on #1 and down on #2 (or in reverse depending which way up you like the
switch), ground hooks to #3 and #5. YOU MUST cut the LED connection at point
#3 or else you will power a direction (because ground and direction always
on both sides). That leaves the LED and what to hook the other side to ...
which I have not figured out.

Here's my Note:
On my car, because of the wiring nightmare, none of this holds true. The
driver side window now gets power on the ground wire, and the power wires do
jacksh**t. ((((in fact all wires are dead unless I hook up the ground wire
from the universal module he installed to the ground wire .. which then
powers the switch))) I wired the switch in as above, but no ground on #3 and
#5 .. instead, the cut side of the LED is hooked up to the red/black power
wire - which, when the ignition is turned ON, lights up the LED. Hummm, it
works, I don't know how, and I'm missing grounds for the direction switchs
... the whole setup is bizzare .. I don't know what the PO was thinking. I
have a bad feeling the passenger side is set up the same way.

I think I might have the horrible task of redoing all the wiring the PO did
sometime in the future to get everything right <SOB>

Only the Magical wiring fairy can tell me now that he's powering the alarm,
windows, dome light, possibly the power sunroof and god knows what else from
the same source.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!