Re: 16V Just stolen (Update-Long)

good/bad news folks,

well... i just received a call from the police and said my car was not
stolen.  it was impounded.  apparently, my car was involved in a hit-n-run.
they asked me to come down to the station and file a report/statement.  so i
get there and spoke to the detective in charge.  he asks me a few questions.
a gave my story. i asked him if i could see the police report on the
"hit-n-run".  he said it hasn't arrived yet.  so now he prepares some
documents to have my car released.  so now i'm beginning to think that it was
stolen and the idiot wrecked it.  i arrived @ the tow yard and presented the
release papers and i'm asked to pay $148.  so i pay the $148 along w/ a few
explitives. i'm even more pissed now.  the man opens the gate and told me my
car is in the back.  so i ran to the back and was prepared for the worst.  to
my surprise only the pass side lights were broken. i walked around the car
and no other damage was found.  i  also noticed the car was locked!  my car
has central-locking system and i know you can't lock the driver side w/o a
key.  i get in and noticed my personal effects weren't disturbed.  everything
was were i last remembered them to be.  the inside wasn't  vandalized @ all.
so i finally take a look @ the ignition switch thinking they must have used a
screwdriver.  but no!  it's perfectly intact!  so i start the car and head on
home.  all the while i'm thinking to myself that this must have been a scam.
no police report.  no sign of forced entry.  no sign off tampering w/ the
ignition.  i arrive home and took a look @ the invoice from the tow yard.
the address where they picked up was where i parked my car.  my car never
moved! so i call back the detective and told him my car never moved and it
didn't look like it was stolen so i don't understand how it could have been
involved in a hit-n-run.  he tells me that since i don't have the police
report yet i'd have to wait a until the report gets assigned to an
investigator and make another statement.  turn around time?  maybe 1 month.
i ask him if he knows who made the police report.  he doesn't know.  but
based on the area of the incident it must be an officer from the rampart
division.  how ironic is that?  oh well... guess i'll just have to wait.  in
the mean time... i'm out a passenger side euro light assembly w/ clear turn
sigs.  thanks to everyone who replied.

mike