High water temp when running?

My water temp has been looking a little high lately, like running up near
the top of the scale once I've gone about 5-10 miles in town.  It hasn't
been particularly warm here - yesterday was 86, but prior to that it was
generally in the 70s.

It never quite gets to the top mark, although I don't have the opportunity
to drive more than across town and back (town of about 35,000, so it's not a
very long drive).  When I got home Friday it was high again, so for some
reason I turned off the ignition and as soon as the engine died, turned it
back on to get a reading.  With the engine stopped, the gauge topped out
right in the middle.  Although there was no coolant flow to do anything to
the reading, I don't think 10 seconds should have been enough time for the
coolant in the area of the sender to drop in temperature more than a few
degrees.

Any ideas?

Aaron
'87 528e