recovering the rieger from the po... cont'd

Heya guys,
    Most of you at cincy got a feel for my being pissed about how the rieger had been handled in the
past. My ordeal today is a prime example of that. I figured since there was a broken spring in my
driver side rear view mirror (it hangs down slightly, flops in wind), i figured i would fix that
along with the fact that the power actuators dont do squat. I took the driver side door panel apart,
did some inspecting, all wires hooked up, thats good. Found that the fuse for said actuators was
missing, and is where the alarm or something was jumpered into its socket. I yanked that crap, put a
fuse in, tried out the window switch. Only one direction worked, well, kinda. Pushing up made the
mirror go left. That was it. Other positions did nothing, well, almost nothing. I noticed my dash
brake light dimmed when i tried other directions, not to mention the black wire going to the control
switch started glowing red hot.
    My brain reverts back to years of nuclear training, whips open bentley schematics section, and
after a quick scan immediately comes to the conclusion that the wiring is completely freggin FUBAred
(nice nuclear conclusion, eh?). The only way it could be this screwed up is if some idiot rewired
it. Who in the hell could possibly do some crap like that??? Hrm, are you thinking what im
thinking??? Heheh. I notice the numbers on the plug that goes to the control switch, compare them
with the bentley, and realize that the installed ones are in completely random order. A little
rewiring and voala, mirrors all work again.
    I took both mirrors apart, relubed em, cleaned em out, etc. Driver side one had to be taken
completely apart + rivets dremeled out and both halves seperated to get to the springs. Turned out
the last 1/4 of the spring hung on the housing. When the kid on the bike hit it (happened to Howard
i think), it stressed only 1/4 of the spring, taking it past its yield point, and stretching it all
to hell. I dremeled a section of it off and remade a hook, threw it all back together, and im a
happy camper. Not to mention my rear wiper now works!!! (same fused circuit).
    Somehow the alarm is still working, so i wonder what the heck that wire was that i yanked out of
the #12 fuse position. Oh well, more tomorrow, same rocco-time, same rocco-channel.
al

Allyn Malventano, ET1(SS), USN
87 rocco 16v (rieger gto - green - 'der rocco' - restoration in progress)
87 jetta 8v wolfsburg 2dr (260k, still tight :)