Air Conditioning (R134a?)

I know this whole subject has been killed recently on our list, but I have
one Q about switching over to R134a...
I was told that I could use my original equipment, but I should/have to
change the drier... I'm getting a decent price through Advance Auto in my
town (I know guys that work there)... anyway they told me there were two
driers for our Roccos (I have an '87 16v(just in case you missed that with
my e-mail address)). One of the driers they are selling I guees comes with a
filter that is extra for the swap to R134a, and the standard doesn't have
it...
Can anyone shed any light on this... Could I just use a stock drier, or do I
need to pay a lot more for this one that comes with a filter on it? I think
the difference is $20-25...

chris