Re: [tech] -removing and rekeying door lock and rear hatch lock

It's by far and away the worst lock to rekey (I'm assuming MkII here,) but
it's not that bad.  I did it on Carrots earlier this year, as I too was
sick of using two keys (actually, I have central locking, so I always
unlocked the car before opening the hatch - it wasn't too bad.  I never
even carried the hatch key with me.)

You have to remove the lock assembly from the hatch and the remove the
snap ring that retains the lock cylinder in the lock assembly.  Once
that's out, you can either swap in your donor cylinder like I did, or
install the new "tumblers," being careful not to lose any of those little
springs.

Removal of the lock assembly is not the easiest thing to do, but it's not
THAT hard either.  Although it has been a while, I remember removing the
access panels on the inside of the hatch, as well as removing the rear
wiper shaft nut so I could move the wiper motor out of the way to get at
the lock.  You want to pay attention to the orientation of the linkage
that goes to the latch, as well as to the central locking actuator, if so
equipped.

I had some trouble getting the lock to work properly when I reinstalled
it. I believe I ended up having to bend the 'S' linkage that goes from the
lock to the latch slightly in order to get reliable locking/unlocking
action in all three positions.

HTH,

Drew

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Victor Farren wrote:

> Anyone do this and have any tips for me?  I imagine I should have the
> key in the lock before pulling it out.  Any 'been there done that'
> experience would be great.  I am getting tired of using 2 keys all the
> time.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Victor

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca