Re: 1.8L 1985 VW Scricco engine work..

First, a couple questions.  How many miles are on this motor?  Does it
smoke, knock, or have low power?  Are you planning to overhaul it?  I
haven't heard of a bearing making a whinning noise, I would check something
like a waterpump or alternator for the whinning noise.  As far as the rear
main, just drop the trans and replace it!!  Plus, check the throw out
bearing to see if it's whinning!  If you want to overhaul the motor and
start anew, you can go about it two different ways.  You could pull the
motor and transmission and overhaul it on an engine stand if you have a nice
clean dry place to work, OR you could drop the trans and overhaul it in the
car.  I have done the in-car overhaul in one day without a lift.  You don't
even need a whole lot of tools!!  Anyway, something to think about.  Just
make sure you NEED an overhaul before you do one (i.e. smoking, bad
compression, rod knock, main knock, hole punched through the block with half
a rod sticking out).  HTH!!

Dave