--- Christopher Grossi <cgrossi@dwc.edu> wrote:

Anywho, off the bat I
> noticed it idled
> rough until it warmed up a bit.

Injecto o-rings?

 Car was vibrating. Is
> this normal for a 16v
> Scirocco?

Yes, if it's got a bad p-side motor mount.  Change it
immediately before the downpipe cracks.  (Front & rear
mounts too!)

 Also I
> notice that when I
> was cruising and holding a steady speed, the tach was
> jumping up a bit
> irratically.

Bad ground / poor electrical connection.

> Power wise the car
> had lots to give, but didn't seem to accelerate like my
> 8v Roc.

The 16v will probably *feel* slightly softer than the 8v
initially until you hit about 3k - and it will keep
pulling.

According to the
> dealer it only had one
> owner and 77k on it when the odometer quit, and the PO
> didn't fix this.
> That's the only part I REALLY don't like, because I am
> not sure of the
> mileage now.

So what?  Mileage on a Scirocco means diddly squat as long
as the maintenance has been kept up with.  I'm currently
working on a 16v I got a week or two ago that has 180k on a
broken odometer.  I knew the previos owner and he was
fairly good at taking care of the major mechanical items,
I'm taking care of some of the other smaller issues.
(Sunroof doesn't work, ignition switch went bad, needs a
major cleaning)

If anyone has any tips or things I should be
> looking at on the car
> please let me know.

Hmmm.  Hear any kind of exhaust leak up front?  Downpipes
are expensive and prone to cracking.

Timing belt.  Critical.  Change it immediately.

Other than that, most things you'd look at for an 8v apply.

Good luck!

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
7 VWs & counting.
"I do have a cause though...  it is obscenity.  I'm for it" - Tom Lehrer.