Re: 16v overheating problems?

Hello Jason:

	If the fan never comes on, I'd check the fuse, and fan motor as suggested
by attaching 12V directly to it.  You could then check for continuity
through the switch when it is heated in boiling water (never tried this
myself but sounds reasonable).  I've had experience with a  fan switch which
wouldn't come on since the level of coolant was below the level of the
switch (ouch!).  This is on a Mk.1 8V; not sure where the fan switch is on a
16V.

	If the coolant level is not reaching the switch, there is probably some
obstruction in the radiator.

	I recently had a water pump start leaking, first gradually then
catastrophically.  It didn't make much noise and my only warning was a
puddle of coolant under the car.  Changing the water pump restored normalcy
and resulted in up to a 5 degree drop in oil temp to boot.

HTH, benton----