Clutch cable et al

Hey volks,
	I am disconnecting averthing from the engine of my doner 16v for a
transplant.  Before my Bently manual gets here can someone tell me, what is
the best way to get some slack on the clutch cable so I can slip off that
funky clip at the bottom near the lever arm.  The older ons had a white
wheel you could back off about 20 turns and get about an inch of play.  Also
the lever arm seems to be a lot stiffer that the old 8v and P/U I had in the
past.
	Also I should be able to keep the trans and engine together when I pull it
right?  New clutch recently and I'd like to keep them together if possible.
Thanks

Ken
'79 Scirocco (soon to be 1.8 16v)
"mcfly"