Re: IT LIVES ! ! !

Haha - wow! I just took a look at the pictures and realized I saw this car
yesterday on the side of the road or in front of a hosue when I was out at
the UW. Same missing front end and spare tire - I was wondering who it was
because there are only a couple 'rocs that I've seen "living" out in that
area. A white 16v on 20th, a silver 16v that goes on 50th often, and a
handful of others...

> Anyway more questions . .
>
> 1) The previous owner cut out the airbox and installed a K+N air filter, he
> said something about being able to clean these, and also that they are
> pretty much self cleaning. So how do I clean them?

If the filter is pretty new and in decent shape you can just remove the
battery (for easier access) and pop open the 4 or 5 clips holding the top
section of the airbox to the bottom section, then remove the filter and
shake it and gently smack it to dislodge all the leaves, dead bees and
dirt balls. Be careful not to bend the wire mesh too much (you can always
bend it back but why make more work for yourself)

Otherwise you might want to get the K&N filter cleaner oil and cleaning
kit which you can buy at a respectable auto parts store or from potterman.
It has full instructions on how to wash and re-oil the filter. Don't use
any other kind of oil to oil it and don't use compressed air to clean it
as doing either will harm the filter.

> 2) What's the best oil to put in these cars? I don't have a manual (Going to
> pick up a bently sometime), could someone tell me how many quarts and what
> weight oil I need. I'm in seattle so it never get's above 85 degrees
> outside.

I think it's roughly 4 quarts. I use 10W30 but 20W50 is recommended for
VWs. When you drain the oil check if it's synthetic - if so you'll want to
keep using synthetic. Castrol GTX is a  good synth oil.. if you have a
Costco card you can get cases of the stuff at a little better price.

> 3)Ok the big black hose comming out of the top of the throttle body and
> going to the engine (sorry I don't know the real name). If you are looking
> at it from the front of the car there are 3 little hoses comming out of the
> front of it. The hose on the right is connected to the big hose with a 3 way
> 90 degree fitting. But there is only one little hose going to the fitting,
> so the other inlet/outlet is just left open. What is supose to be there, if
> anything?   I couldn't find any loose hoses around that area. This is
> causing a vacum leak correct?

I don't know.. mine was disconnected on one side too. I decided to be
cautious so I put a vacuum cap over it and zip tied it on. Maybe someone
else will have a better answer.

> 4)Does the rear wiper wipe when ever the front wipers do? I can't get the
> rear wiper to move. With my 280zxt (sniff sniff) there was a seperate button
> for the rear wiper. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't just not pushing the
> right button.

Push the wiper switch towards the front of the car to start it going (it's
always on "intermittant" mode) and push it again to stop. Pull on the arm
for the 'wash' feature for the windshield. If you push on the arm and
hold it, it will wash the rear window.

> 5)Any suggestions for a good manual to get? Someone earlier suggested
> Bentley. Just curious if anybody had any other sugestions.

Bentley. Hands down..

> anyway that's enough for now.
>
> aireq

HTH