From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Jeremiah Gilmore
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 13:12
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: 88 16v slow crank/no start when hot

I have and 88 16v with a long list of problems.
I am the second owner and have always had problems.
any help will be greatly appreciated

I don't want to overwhelm the group with the whole list a once.
so I will start with the one that bugs me the most.

when hot the car has trouble starting, the crank is really slow
the severity is relative to the temperature

according to the oil temp gauge:
Cold - Starts on first Crank
90-95C - Normal starts fine cranks normal speed - Starts on first Crank
100C - Slow crank Most Likely will start
105C - very slow crank if it doesn't catch in the first crank forget it
110+C - not a chance

The car will pop start and run with no problem

when running if it gets over 105 it may be unstable rpms drop at idle
at 110+ it is most definitely unstable and you have to keep the rpm over 3k
to keep from stalling and even that is a challenge

Putting the heater on defrost with the blower on 1st speed helps keep the
temp down and the blower brings the Idle up to +-1900 rpm
Modes other than defrost not so effective

The slow crank and successful pop starting rule out vapor lock if I am not
mistaken.

I suspect that this is more than one problem
A. the overheating
B. the slow crank as a result of the overheating

any Ideas?

Best Regards
Jeremiah Gilmore