Re: stuff and things

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:06:38 -0400 animal <terrapin@halifax.com> writes:
> I have been lurking on this list for the better part of six months
> while trying to troubleshoot this bastard of mine.
> A little history. I was able to purchase a little over a year ago a
> 78 scirocco for a couple hundred buck because the previous, and
> original owner, was pissed because it cut off one day and he never
> could get itcranked.
> Money changes hands, 34 bucks for a new fuel pump relay later and
> I'm happily driving down the road.
> At least I was until this past winter.
> It has a strange fuel injection problem (I guess) that is really
> beginning to wear thin on me.
> Sometimes when I crank, it spits and sputters as if it's starving
> for gas. Hit the gas and it dies, or it accelerates also like it is
> starving for gas or there is trash in the jets, or filter.
> I've changed out the filter and other incidental parts.

Sounds like the coldstart valve... Check the spray pattern of the
coldstart valve, and verify that it sprays.

It wouldn't hurt to check the spray pattern of the injectors, too.
Make sure to replace the O-rings while you are at it, they are cheao, and
they can solve all kinds of issues.

> Cranking it hot, it acts as if it is flooding out andthen begins the
> starving problem.

My '81 Pickup did that, and it was the fuel accumulator.

> And sometimes just going down the road it loses power as it I just
> ran out of gas.

My '81 Pickup did that too... <g>

It was the ignition pickup coil in the distributor, but since you car
came with points, it is less likely.

Does the tach drop directly to 0 RPM when it cuts off, or does it slowly
bog down, the way it does when you run out of gas?

Check the contacts on the low voltage connections on the coil...

HTH!

Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Discount Techtonics Dealer -
Bear, Delaware

 '79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84 Black, '88 Red