stuff and things

I have been lurking on this list for the better part of six months
while trying to troubleshoot this bastard of mine.
A little history. I was able to purchase a little over a year ago a
78 scirocco for a couple hundred buck because the previous, and
original owner, was pissed because it cut off one day and he never
could get itcranked.
Money changes hands, 34 bucks for a new fuel pump relay later and I'm
happily driving down the road.
At least I was until this past winter.
It has a strange fuel injection problem (I guess) that is really
beginning to wear thin on me.
Sometimes when I crank, it spits and sputters as if it's starving for
gas. Hit the gas and it dies, or it accelerates also like it is
starving for gas or there is trash in the jets, or filter.
I've changed out the filter and other incidental parts.
Cranking it hot, it acts as if it is flooding out andthen begins the
starving problem.
And sometimes just going down the road it loses power as it I just
ran out of gas.
Be gentle with me. This is my first vehicle with water in it.
Since 1973 I have been exclusively driving air-cooled bugs, karmann
ghias and buses.
I presently have field full of vans and westies either for parts or
possible work to get them running.
I like the scirocco, but this fuel problem is driving me batty.
Once we troubleshoot that puppy, I'll start in on where to begin
looking for whatever is draining the battery overnight and why the
windshield wiper doesn't work, although it has a new motor.
It was working only on intermittent, anything else would blow the fuse.
Now it refuses to move at all, but I have gotten used to that black
bar in the middle of the windshield.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.
Onward thru the fog
David Conner
terrapin@halifax.com
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
-- Albert Einstein