Re: Waterfest?

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:49:03 -0800 Riley McDowall <roog@telus.net>
writes:
> Did anybody actually go to Waterfest this year?  Where the fock are
> all the stories and hilarious anecdotes that I've been waiting to
> hear?!?!?!?  C'mon!

Alright...

I have a story for ya...

But first I want to thank Mike Leach for hooking me up with a ticket for
Laurie, thanks Mike!

Special thanks to Pauly AKA "Botch" for the XXX Molson Ice! I've got you
covered for CINCY2002... ;^)

Thanks to Jan "Traffic" Folkson, for getting the 16V badge that I brought
him, and the generous compensation,
and congratulations on winning the stock class, AGAIN! 8^)

Congratulations to Brett VanSprewenburg for winning both the modified
class, and the supermodified... <G>

So anyway, back to my story...

This dude Al asked me if I want a set of Mk.1 euro bumpers for my
Scirocco...

Ya think... <G> (I've wanted euro Mk.1 Scirocco bumpers ever since 1988,
when I saw a green Mk.1 in Löddeköpinge Sweden...)

I said yes and asked how much he wanted for them.
He tells me that he got them at a U-Pullit in Germany for $25, and that
he wanted a little something for his trouble.

I almost offered him a $100, but instead I patiently ask him again, how
much?

He finally says $30...

I couldn't believe it!

Trying to keep a straight face, I quickly shake his hand, and tell him
that he has a deal.

He drew me a map to his house, and I picked them up on the way home from
DustFest.

The bumpers are in good condition, no holes or anything, and the
galvanized bumper supports are rustfree.

The front bumper was a little tweaked, but all I had to do was remove the
bumper cover to straighten it.
I used a large rubber mallet, and some wood to pound it out, and now it
looks great, and the galvanization is intact.
I POR'd around all the holes, and any friction points on the bumper
support...

I also took the front brackets off, I sandblasted the rust off, POR'd
them, and I'm doing the rear brackets tomorrow.

I'm using all stainless hardware for the brackets, so everything should
stay rustfree.

Al has a beautiful Cosmos Silver '81 Scirocco S that has been in Germany
twice, first in '80-81 and then in 2000.
It has an '86 GLi 10:1 RD engine with a TT SS exhaust, H4/H1, otherwise
it is pretty much stock.
He had it for sale, but I think that I talked him into keeping it.

I also picked up a set of factory euro Hella H1/H1 Mk.1 headlights with
frames, which I'm going to sell, along with the BMW H1 headlights.

It was nice to see everyone again, and we look forward to CINCY...

Btw, the Mk.1 Scirocco euro bumpers weigh ~16lbs each vs. ~39lbs for the
US rear bumper.

Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Discount Techtonics Dealer -
Bear, Delaware

 '79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84 Black, '88 Red