[tech] 8V high compression blocks

Guys and gals,

I was discussing with a friend today about upgrading my present 8V.  I wanna
bump up the compression.  However, we weren't certain which setup works
best.

Presently, my motor is an 8V from a 83 GTI, solid lifter head, 1.8l block.
Supposedly, there are two routes I can go.

1) upgrade to a 2.0l block
2) replace my current 1.8l low compression pistons with pistons from a high
compression motor.

My friend and I weren't certain whether or not we would get the same results
with the aforementioned setups. So what would be the results?  Or is better
just to shave the head and leave the current 1.8l block?

TIA

Sal