Re: oil on plug wires?

--- Aireq <aireq@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Well I got the hood open and I started looking over
> my new scirocco 16v.
> Those 4 plugs on the top of the engine are the plug
> wires right? So are the
> plugs way down at the bottom of those holes? Is it
> normal for there to be
> oil all over the wires (the plastic part that goes
> into the hole, or is that
> a bad sign.
>
> Also this car has been sitting in the same spot for
> a little less then a
> year. The battery is probably dead but are there any
> other concerns I should
> have before starting it.
>

> aireq

Oil on the spark plug wires is definately not normal.
It could be caused by a leaky valve cover gasket, or
maybe someone just forgot to put the oil cap on and
drove the car around. Some people will tell you that
it is a good idea to replace the wires when they have
been exposed to oil like that. Those wires are not
cheap for the 16v.

 I had the same problem when I bought my 87 16v. It
had been sitting for about a year. We just jump
started it and I took it for a drive. It had lots of
little problems, but nothing major, and it was more
fun than my 8v. I didn't drive it much after that
until I replaced the timing belt, changed the oil,
replaced the spark plugs (which are right where you
guessed they are), put on some new tires and got a new
battery and did a general cleaning. It was all
preventitive maintainance stuff, and I'm sure other
listers have some sage advice to give as far as this goes.

=====
Jorel Jackson
1987 16v & 1985 8v Sciroccos
2000 Neon ES