oil on plug wires?

Well I got the hood open and I started looking over my new scirocco 16v.
Those 4 plugs on the top of the engine are the plug wires right? So are the
plugs way down at the bottom of those holes? Is it normal for there to be
oil all over the wires (the plastic part that goes into the hole, or is that
a bad sign.

Also this car has been sitting in the same spot for a little less then a
year. The battery is probably dead but are there any other concerns I should
have before starting it.

aireq