Re: Where to/not to use antisieze?

At 10:58 AM 07/20/2001 -0700, Theron Ross wrote:

>Since I'm in the process of assembling my block, I'd like opinions on where
>and where not to apply antisieze.
>
>Exhaust manifold studs are a sure bet. But what about the other bolts that
>attach to the block and head--things like the bolts that hold the water pump
>housing to the block.

Definitely a Yes.  Although my garage is 20 mins away, I decided to check
my thermostat while the car was in front of my house.  One bolt snapped off
rather easily.  I could not get the remaining thread out.  No way to button
the T-stat cover back onto the water pump,  in order to get to my garage,
so I had to (chant this rhythmically) remove the water pump that is under
the bracket that is under the A/C comp and Alt that is connected to the
shin bone - whoops wrong chant.  Also one of the socket head cap screws
that hold the pulley on the crank stripped out.  2 min job turned into 4
hour job.  On my other car the nut that sits in the middle of the Alt-A/C
bracket was rusted solidly on the stud and not having acetylene at that
time, I finally had to take it off with judicious use of a hammer and
chisel.  We need to use more anti-seize and toss those old fasteners more
frequently.  Like Ben Franklin said, "A penny spent on a new 10.9 plated
fastener is an hour saved."

Good luck,

Chris

I'm in the middle of Carroll Smith's "Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners
........".  Read that and you will really be paranoid.