86 a/c into 82 questions

I need to replace the a/c compressor on my '82. I've always detested the early a/c setup where everything is in everything else's way so I'm going to take advantage of the situation to convert to the later system with a cylindrical compressor, like in my '86. I scavenged most of what I need out of Pick N Pull but am running into a problem with pulleys. I was told that the crank, water pump, and compressor pulleys are all different sizes depending on whether the car has power steering. Mine doesn't so of course every wrecked car I can find does. I can either keep looking until I (hopefully) find a non-p/s donor, or go with the p/s parts and try to match up a belt by size. Anyone have any suggestions as to which is the better course of action? The water pump on the car I stripped the rest of the stuff off looked like it had two different-sized pulleys, does that mean it's universal for both p/s and non-p/s? Also, I don't know about my alternator - will the '82 alternator work as is, do I need to replace the pulley, or am I going to have to replace it and the wiring harness?

Many, many, many thanks to anyone who can help with this
---
Curt

'86 Scirocco 8V, soon to be sold
'82 Scirocco 1.8 8v - the daily driver
'81 Caddy
'78 Rabbit 1.7L rustbucket in semi-retirement