Re: coupla Mk2 questions

> #2. I have a very freaked out instrument cluster. It seems that power to the
> bank of LEDs, temp and gas gauges, and tach cuts on and off all the time
> (note that inst cluster lights do not blink sporadically). If power is
> getting there, then the tach is pegged. It actually worked for about 20
> seconds today, though. Should I just replace the cluster if it's bugging me
> enough, or is there a repair for it? Does VW sell just the circuit board for
> this?

  as from jim jarrett in a message to me:

> irrc, it was you that cleaned the contacts on the back of you're fuse
> panel. if so, what did you use to do it and what problems did you have?
> everything only fit back into one place? jut wondering as my '84 is
> starting to do some weird things. thanx.

Yep.  Get yourself some Caig De-Oxit.  Search the web; there's a bunch
of
places where you can get it on line.  It cleans contacts and leaves a
conductive coating behind.  Good stuff. Spray the plugs that go into the
back of the fusebox, and the plugs themselves.

If that doesn't clear it up, the next step is to examine the plugs
themselves.  I can't picture the '84 plugs but on my '81 the plugs are
cylinders that fit over prongs on the back of the fusebox.

Brett & I (well, Brett... <G>) ended up taking a very small flat-blade
screwdriver and prying the cylinders closed slightly, so they make
better
contact.

--
 /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)