Re: [tech]: engine swap q's

--- Michael Abatzis <abatzis2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> 1....lots of carbon on the head and
> pistons. how do i clean
> it? should i?

Yeah, you prolly should.  Brass brush, scotchbrite,
carb cleaner.  Get ahold of a *quality* sharpening
stone and go over the deck surface and the head
surface with that and some light oil.  Clean when
done.

> 2. i think i can remove just the inner cv's from the
> transaxle w/o removing
> the whole axle and dealing with ball joints and
> camber bolts and alignments,
> but i've never tried. can i?

AFAIK you can...you may not be able to get them out of
the way though.

> 3. anything i should do "while i'm in there"?...

Clean head bolt holes with a tap...inspect closely for
corrosion (I had to helicoil two holes in my Cabby
block...).  Clean the he!! out of the deck, bores, and
head.  And, of course, replace timing belt, tensioner,
and the radiator/heater hoses that miraculously become
accessible with the head off.  Injector O-rings, cam
cover gasket of course.  Clean everthing again.

> 4. any hints or suggestions?

Clean stuff well.  Braze the ?mm triple square bit for
the head bolts into a cheap socket.  It'll save you
the frustration of having the frigging thing fall out
a bazillion times when torquing the head.  Use new
head bolts, JFDI.  Clean everything.  Clean and grease
the ground wires that attach to the backside.  Clean
some more.

HTH

Ron

PS Cleaning is important.