[tech]: engine swap q's

okay. so tomorrow's the big day. found a hoist to use for free (woo hoo!),
and i'm getting excited. i'm swapping a 1.8 16v (110k miles) for a 2.0 16v
(90k), but i'm keeping my 1.8 head. questions:
1. just removed the head from the 2.0 L (real easy, i hope the rest of the
swap is like this!). lots of carbon on the head and pistons. how do i clean
it? should i? i expect the head on the 1.8 will be the same, but we'll see
if the money i spend on "super" gas and fuel system cleaner is doing
anything...
2. i think i can remove just the inner cv's from the transaxle w/o removing
the whole axle and dealing with ball joints and camber bolts and alignments,
but i've never tried. can i?
3. anything i should do "while i'm in there"? this is my daily driver, and i
don't have a lot of time to do this, so we're talking "replace timing belt"
or "replace easily accessable seal X" rather than "replace valves and
guides".
4. any hints or suggestions? i've been looking for a step-by-step website
for a while, but haven't found one. is there any links page that contains
just people's tech procedures? i know there are good links on .org, but i
don't have time to wade through them all looking for tech stuff.
TIA,
-michael
88 soon to be 2.0L 16v scirocco

ooh! ooh! as an added bonus, i'll let everyone know first hand how my
pistons and valve fared from my broken timing belt incident of 6 months ago.
the compression's good, but who knows what i'll find...