Re: weird noise from my passenger front wheel

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 01:02:00 -0400 "Casey Webster" <tinfool@home.com>
writes:
>Just as the title says, I am getting like a clunking noise, or like
>something is shifting out of place in the suspension.  Only happens at
>very
>slow speeds like when I'm backing out of my driveway or starting from
>stoplight, and usually only happens once per drive.
>
>Could this be
>a) tie rod end going bad?
>b) ball joint?
>c) outer CV?
>d) something f***ed in my struts?
>e) none of the above

DAMN, its like another ASE test. I just KNOW its a damn trick
question....

I pick:
f) All of the above.

Heres why. Could be ANY of them. Most likely, based solely on your
description, it sounds like the CV is going. Then again, your no expert
(or you wouldn't be asking YO.) so it could be any one of those listed.

Best thing to do is rule out the possible culprits.
jack up the right side, start grabbing and yanking on suspension parts.
Leave it in gear and jerk the tire foreword and reverse. (HARD) See if
you can duplicate the sound. Any play you find means it needs attending
to and even could not even be the noise maker. leave the steering wheel
locked and try and steer the tire by hand. Then unlock it and turn the
(by the tire) wheel, lock to lock by hand. You will find it.

>hehehe.....gotta love those multiple choice questions.

Cept for when you don't see the right answer listed.
Damn ASE tests..... :)

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!