Re: more 16v questions

--- "Young, Patrick" <PYoung@netledger.com> wrote:
> Part 3 of my saga.  The car now runs, and drives fairly
> well.  Needs a motor
> mount, based on the amount of dash rattling going on
> (that's for another
> time, however. :) )

Uh...   sooner rather than later dood - you're downpipe's
gonna crack...

> Now, perhaps this is normal, because I'm used to the 8v
> motors, but when I'm
> at a light, it's at proper idle (about 900 rpm), when I
> take off, the motor
> seems to really lag if I hit the gas - also in neutral,
> just sitting there,
> if I punch it, it takes a moment to get going, then it
> spins right up.

Sounds like a vacuum leak.  Remove your rubber air intake
boot and check it VERY closely for cracks - flex it a
little.  That and perhaps old injector o-rings?

> Also, on the back of the t-body, there's a (what I assume
> is) vacuum hose.
> I don't know what this connects to. Bentley doesn't give
> you a good pic of
> it, so I'm kinda lost.  I've got it plugged into the
> intake hose right now
> (on the back, there's two fittings, one for what I know
> is a vacuum hose,
> and a free port that I have this mystery hose on.).

Are you talking the two nipples (hehe) on the intake air
boot?  One goes down to the cold air flap for the airbox,
the other...   ummm, my Bentley isn't in front of me and
it's raining out so I'm not gonna go look under the hood.
:)

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
7 VWs & counting.
"I do have a cause though...  it is obscenity.  I'm for it" - Tom Lehrer.