more 16v questions

Part 3 of my saga.  The car now runs, and drives fairly well.  Needs a motor
mount, based on the amount of dash rattling going on (that's for another
time, however. :) )

Now, perhaps this is normal, because I'm used to the 8v motors, but when I'm
at a light, it's at proper idle (about 900 rpm), when I take off, the motor
seems to really lag if I hit the gas - also in neutral, just sitting there,
if I punch it, it takes a moment to get going, then it spins right up.

Also, on the back of the t-body, there's a (what I assume is) vacuum hose.
I don't know what this connects to. Bentley doesn't give you a good pic of
it, so I'm kinda lost.  I've got it plugged into the intake hose right now
(on the back, there's two fittings, one for what I know is a vacuum hose,
and a free port that I have this mystery hose on.).

Any help appreciated, I know the 16v doesn't have a lot of low-end grunt,
but it's gotta be better than this.

One last bit, when I stop at a light, the rpm drop way down to 400 or 500,
before rebounding to 900.

-Pat