Re: Storage to driving...

L Crawford wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>
> I mentioned earlier that the cars been stored for over
> a year.
<snip>
> I'm afraid to fire her up since she's been sitting
> sooo long.
>
> Should I have her towed to a shop and have the fluids
> flushed and changed?  Or just fire her up and drive
> over and let them do it?  (I'd do it myself but I've
> got nowhere to dispose of the old tranny fluid and
> motor oil... besides it's not that expensive).

I would pull the spark plugs and squirt a little oil down inside each
cyl. Let it sit awhile or over night and then put the car in 1st gear
and 'bump' it a little to rotate the motor without a full load on it.
(Turning it by hand via the crank bolt is an option).

After you have freed the rings then feel free to start it up, expect it
to smoke as the dust burns off.

Sure you can't buy a pan and drop  the old oil for fresh 1st though?

> Is there anything else I should be checking? (besides
> that the brakes work) Before trying to get her back on
> the road?

Timing belt may have rotted a bit.

> Lee
> 84' Scirocco 8v Silver